Located at the junction of Bald Eagle and Spring Creeks, Milesburg was named after and founded in 1793 by Colonel Samuel Miles. Miles was a Revolutionary War officer, land speculator, early mayor of Philadelphia, and part owner of Centre Furnace Iron Works. In 1795, Miles put the Milesburg Forge into operation to forge Centre Furnace pig iron into a transportable and marketable form. Iron products were at first precariously floated on arks from Milesburg down the Bald Eagle Creek to the West Branch of the Susquehanna. By 1846 a canal system linking Bellefonte with Lock Haven was completed. This new system provided a safe and cheap means of transporting iron to Baltimore and other eastern markets. Later the Bellefonte Central and the Bald Eagle Valley Railroad passed through Milesburg on their way to and from Bellefonte.
Today, Milesburg has a total area of 0.4 square miles with nearly 1200 inhabitants. Its close proximity to Interstate 80, makes it easy to get in, out, and around Centre County. There are a variety of home styles ranging from historic buildings in the town’s center to more modern styles built throughout the twentieth century. And nearby state game lands and creeks are popular among outdoor enthusiasts and fly fishers. Milesburg offers the peacefulness of small town living, with larger town excitement a short drive away.