Pleasant Gap did not receive its official name until 1845 when a post office was established. Its mountain gap location has served as a transportation route for more than 200 years. Native American paths, pack horse trails, stagecoach routes, and an early turnpike all crossed through this gap connecting Penns Valley with Nittany Valley.
Pleasant Gap has a rich vein of limestone. This is an outcrop of the same high-grade limestone that is found along the Muncy Mountain near Bellefonte and been mined since 1905.
Pleasant Gap has an area of 1.6 miles and a population of approximately 1600 inhabitants. It has a small-town feel, yet interstate 99 allows for quick and easy access to other communities.