Arts Fest: Popular Jazz Ensemble Group to Perform Friday
Performing for over 26 years in Happy Valley at Penn State, the Andrew Jackson Jazz Ensemble will bring Urban Fusion to the Arts Festival this year.
The group is scheduled to perform outside at 1:30 p.m. Friday at the Old Main Festival stage.
Around 40 years ago at Penn State, Jackson and his fellow musician friends — Bruce, Chuck Anthony, Jerry Mitchell, Jared Melson, Eric Greenbaugh, Debbie Mitchell, Sheila Short, Adam and Dan Ritter — opened for Earth, Wind, and Fire at Rec Hall.
In 1988, they opened for Ziggy Marley and the Melody Makers with RT and The Earthtones at Rec Hall.
The group opened for Spra Gyra at the Hub Lawn for the Penn State Jazz Club and has performed at various venues in State College, the Harrisburg Jazz Festival, Huntington Arts Festival in Blair County, the Altoona Music in the Streets Jazz, the Altoona Arts Festival, the McNair Ronald McNair Luncheon, the Governors Reception at the Governors Mansion in Harrisburg for Gov. Casey and many local venues.
The band is comprised of: Dr. Eli Byrne (sax, flute), Chip Lovett (keyboards), Gary Abdullah (bass), and Dr. Andrew Jackson, Sr., (drums). There are also some special guest and friends: Carl Ector (violin) and Drew Dubb (MC).
Allen Street Stage
- Smash the Windows, noon.
- Tarnished 6, 2 p.m.
- The New Students, 4 p.m.
- Ted McCloskey & The Hi-Fi’s, 6 p.m.
- The Ultra Kings, 8 p.m.
- The Nightcrawlers, 10 p.m.
Festival Shell Stage
- Andrew Jackson Jazz Ensemble, 1:30 p.m.
- Out of the Blue, 3:30 p.m.
- Callanish, 5:30 p.m.
- Bushmaster, 7:30 p.m.
- The Velveteen Playboys, 10 p.m.
Sidney Friedman Park Stage
- Zumba with Teresa Soler, 10 a.m.
- Pepper Lotus Tribal, 3:30 p.m.
- Joe Baione, 5:30 p.m.
- Mark DeRose and The Way Home, 8 p.m.
- J.P. Harris and the Tough Choices, 10 p.m.
- It’s a Wonderful Life, 2 and 5 p.m.
- Syncopation, 3 p.m.
- Jim Colbert, 2:30 p.m.
- Scott Mangene, 4:30 p.m.
State College Presbyterian Church
- Essence of Joy and Essence II, 7 p.m.
- Cartoon with Special Guest Jamie Rounds, 7:30 p.m.