Athletic Director Search Committee Announced
Penn State President Eric Barron announced Wednesday the rest of the search committee tasked with finding a replacement for retiring Athletic Director David Joyner.
The committee will be headed by Senior Vice President for Finance and Business David Gray and will also includes some familiar faces from prior university search committees.
- Linda Caldwell, Penn State’s faculty athletics representative to the NCAA and distinguished professor of recreation, park, and tourism management and of human development and family studies. Caldwell is a Ph.D. and 1976 Penn State graduate who has held her faculty athletics representative position since 2010. She was also on the search committees that brought Bill O’Brien and James Franklin to Penn State.
- Julie Del Giorno, athletics integrity officer. Del Giorno was brought on in January 2013 to become Penn State’s athletics integrity officer after the NCAA’s sanctions decreed the position was necessary. She’s been in the news lately — fired fencing coach Emmanuil Kaidanov recently sued her, Joyner, and Penn State for wrongful termination.
- Charmelle Green, associate athletics director and senior woman administrator in Intercollegiate athletics. Green has held those positions at Penn State since 2011 and sat on the search committee that found James Franklin. She has oversight of field hockey, women’s golf, women’s gymnastics, women’s lacrosse, women’s soccer, softball, men’s and women’s swimming & diving, women’s tennis and women’s volleyball.
- Robert Pangborn, vice president and dean for undergraduate education. Pangborn was Penn State’s Interim Executive Vice President and Provost from November 2011 to June 2013, and he’s worked at Penn State since 1979.
- Tom Poole, vice president for administration. Poole has held that position since 2009. He earned a doctorate in religious studies from Penn State in 1984. Poole has worked here for decades between the office of student affairs, being the associate vice provost for educational equity, and secretary of the corporation/Board of Trustees. He was on the committee that found James Franklin.
- Coquese Washington, Penn State Lady Lion basketball coach. The lone coach on the list, Washington is a Notre Dame law graduate who also sat on the committee that brought Eric Barron to Penn State from Florida State. The Big Ten Coach of the Year in 2011-12, Washington has led her Lady Lions to the NCAA Tournament for four straight seasons.
Not much news has surfaced concerning which candidates Penn State may be interested in to replace Joyner, except for a report the university is considering Northwestern Athletic Director Jim Phillips.
Joyner will retire on Aug. 1, leaving behind a complicated legacy.