Attorneys for Sandusky Victim 6 Fight for Penn State to Release Documents
Attorneys for the man known as Victim 6 during Jerry Sandusky's child sex abuse trial wants Penn State to turn over a slew of documents related to Penn State's handling of the abuse.
Attorney Jason Penn with the Janet, Jenner and Suggs firm in Baltimore, filed a motion last month with federal Judge Anita Brody of the Eastern District Court in Philadelphia as part of a lawsuit against Penn State, The Second Mile and Sandusky.
The motion asks that Penn State be ordered to hand over documents related to the Sandusky scandal, including those related to the Louis Freeh investigation, which the university paid for.
Penn argues that attorneys requested Penn State turn over the documents multiple times as part of discovery in the case, but the university has not complied.
This week, the judge ordered a conference regarding discovery issues for Feb. 18 in the judge's chambers.
The lawsuit alleges that Penn State had "paramount financial interest in protecting the reputation and commercial viability of its football program," which allowed Sandusky to exploit his status with the Penn State football program to further his grooming and assaults on young men.
The lawsuit says Sandusky used his charity for at-risk kids, The Second Mile, as a 'hunting ground' for his victims.
Victim 6, called 'John Doe 6' in the complaint, testified during Sandusky's trial that he was assaulted by Sandusky in 1998 in the locker room shower after an afternoon of working out. The boy's mother was alarmed by her son's wet hair, found out about the shower, and alerted authorities.
Victim 6 claims Penn State expended all of its efforts on concealing Sandusky's actions to protect its "legendary and financially lucrative football program," despite other members of the university witnessing "inappropriately showering with young boys in the Lasch Football Building," according to court documents.
Sandusky was confronted by the boy's mother in her home while police were listening in. Sandusky told the mother of Victim 6 that he 'wished he was dead' and knew he wouldn't be granted her forgiveness, but then-District Attorney Ray Gricar never pressed charges.
Gricar has been missing since 2005.
Sandusky was sentenced to 30-60 years in prison for 45 counts of sexually abusing 10 boys over a 15-year period.