Centre Foundation Grants More than $23,000 to Local Organizations
The Centre Foundation announced it is awarding $23,438 to eight local organizations as it concludes its summer round of competitive grants.
According to a news release, the grants will fund emergency financial assistance, emergency housing, literacy education and acting workshops for youth in Centre County among many other causes.
Which organizations receive grants is decided by Centre Foundation board members, who evaluate each application and choose to fund the projects believe will most benefit Centre County.
Centre Foundation grants benefit many different organizations, including those that represent the arts, education, health and human services and the environment. The grants, along with a $10,000 grant awarded to Discovery Space of Central Pennsylvania last week, follow the generous fundraising foundation laid in June by the Centre Foundation's Centre Gives.
In total, 74 local nonprofits raised more than $400,000 in addition to a $100,000 match provided by the foundation.
"These competitive grants, focused on specific projects, compliment the broad impact of Centre Gives," said Al Jones, Centre Foundation Executive Director.
The competitive grants will be distributed as follows:
- $1,338 to The Music Academy for the Ballet at The Music Academy Spring Performance
- $2,000 to Catholic Charities, Inc. of the Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown for the Emergency Financial Assistance Program -Catholic Charities Bellefonte Office
- $2,000 to New Leaf Initiative for the co.space program
- $3,000 to Moshannon Valley Emergency Medical Services forcomputer replacement
- $3,000 to the State Theatre for the American Shakespeare Company Acting Workshop for middle and high school students
- $3,500 to the Mid-State Literacy Council for the Health Literacy for Families program
- $3,000 to Housing Transitions for the Nittany House Apartments program
- $5,000 to Hope Fire Co. 2 for rescue bay entrance replacement
The Centre Foundation awards another round of competitive grants in the fall. Grant application guidelines are available on the foundation's website and the application for the next round of grants will be up in early September.