Drinking Water Problem Corrected; Boiling Water No Longer Necessary for Those Customers Affected
Updated at 3:43 p.m. Jan. 31
The State College Borough Water Authority lifted its warning Thursday morning, saying the water is safe to drink.
"We are pleased to report that the problem has been corrected and that it is no longer necessary to boil your water," reads the notice on the department's website, in part.
Earlier at 9:45 a.m. Jan. 30
About three dozen homes and businesses are under a drinking water warning after a 20-inch water main failure Tuesday afternoon.
Those customers in locations 1700 - 1820 South Atherton Street, 105 - 164 Joyce Drive, 110 - 151 Suzy Circle, 112 - 129 Vivian Way and 800 West Branch Road will experience a loss of water pressure and possible water contamination, the State College Borough Water Authority announced.
“We don’t know of any contamination,” said John Lichman, executive director at the borough’s water authority. “This is only for 37 customers out of 14,366. Everyone else should relax.”
Test results for bacteria take about 48 hours, and Lichman is optimistic the water samples will not show to be contaminated when the results come in around 8 p.m. Thursday. If a sample does come back positive, then the authority tests for human error. In the event that repeated tests come back positive, the line would be flushed until the water was deemed safe.
Those under warning are urged to bring all water to a rolling boil, let it boil for one minute, and let it cool before using; or use bottled water, according to the department. It advises people to use boiled or bottled water for drinking, making ice, washing dishes, brushing teeth and food preparation until further notice.
The borough hand-delivered notices to the affected customers shortly after the incident was discovered and posted the warning on its website by Wednesday morning. The department will alert those impacted when all corrective actions have been completed and when boiling water is no longer necessary.
Lichman hopes the detailed warning helps alleviate fears among residents across the area.
“I treat the water like I’m giving it to my own children,” Lichman said.