Judge Orders Penn State to Turn Over Freeh Documents and Details of Sexual Misconduct Complaints Involving Minors
A federal judge has ordered Penn State to hand a slew of information over to the attorney for Victim 6, including all documents related to the Louis Freeh investigation of the Jerry Sandusky child sexual abuse scandal.
Federal Judge Anita Brody of the Eastern District Court in Philadelphia issued an order last week in response to a request by the attorney for Victim 6.
Specifically, the order requires Penn State to hand over the names of everyone the Freeh firm interviewed "who observed or may have information about Gerald Sandusky showering with minors from January 1990 to May 1998; and the detectives who interviewed Sandusky in connection with the incident involving Victim 6."
Additionally, the judge ordered Penn State to release any documents related to the NCAA investigation of Sandusky matters, aside from the Freeh report, that Penn State received from the NCAA or provided to the NCAA between Sandusky's indictment and when the NCAA issued sanctions against Penn State's football program.
Penn State hired Freeh to conduct an independent investigation into the Sandusky scandal. In the final report, the Freeh firm says administrators "repeatedly concealed critical facts relating to Sandusky's child abuse from the authorities, [PSU's] Board of Trustees, the Penn State community, and the public at large."
The judge also ordered Penn State to release information regarding any and all complaints by minors or their parents about sexual misconduct by any Penn State employee at University Park between 1990 and 1998, including who the information was reported to and what action, if any, was taken as well as the ages of the victims.
The court also ordered Penn State to provide names of any administrative or other employees who worked in the offices of former Penn State administrators Graham Spanier, Timothy Curley and Gary Schultz between 1990 and 1998.
The attorney for Victim 6, Jason Penn with the Janet, Jenner and Suggs law firm in Baltimore, filed a motion requesting the documents last month as part of a lawsuit against Penn State, The Second Mile and Sandusky.
Penn argued his office requested Penn State turn over the documents multiple times as part of discovery in the case, but the university had not complied.
Brody issued last week's order following a Feb. 25 conference with involved parties.
The lawsuit alleges that Penn State had "paramount financial interest in protecting the reputation and commercial viability of its football program," which allowed Sandusky to exploit his status with the Penn State football program to further his grooming and assaults on young men.
The lawsuit says Sandusky used his charity for at-risk kids, The Second Mile, as a 'hunting ground' for his victims.
Victim 6, called 'John Doe 6' in the complaint, testified during Sandusky's trial that he was assaulted by Sandusky in 1998 in the locker room shower after an afternoon of working out. The boy's mother was alarmed by her son's wet hair, found out about the shower, and alerted authorities.
Victim 6 claims Penn State expended all of its efforts on concealing Sandusky's actions to protect its "legendary and financially lucrative football program," despite other members of the university witnessing "inappropriately showering with young boys in the Lasch Football Building," according to court documents.
Sandusky was confronted by the boy's mother in her home while police were listening in. Sandusky told the mother of Victim 6 that he 'wished he was dead' and knew he wouldn't be granted her forgiveness, but then-District Attorney Ray Gricar never pressed charges.
Gricar later disappeared and has been missing since 2005.
Sandusky was sentenced to 30-60 years in prison for 45 counts of sexually abusing 10 boys over a 15-year period.