Penn State Football: Nittany Lions Wrap Up Season With Awards Banquet
With the 2013 season wrapped up, the Penn State football team gathered one final time to honor the senior class and some individual performances. Most notable, All-Big Ten selection and co-captain DaQuan Jones was named the team's most valuable player.
Jones was presented the Lions’ Pride Outstanding Senior Player Award to mark the achievement. Jones led Penn State with 11.5 tackles for loss (minus-42 yards) and was fifth on the team with 56 tackles (33 solo), recorded three sacks and had a fumble recovery. Jones also led all Big Ten defensive tackles in hits this season.
Jones was just one of the 17 seniors honored during the event on Sunday night. All of whom have been key to head coach Bill O'Brien's success over the past two seasons.
“This is a fantastic group of guys,” O’Brien said of the seniors. “They were resilient. They accepted their roles. They knew what it meant to play for Penn State. I can’t thank these guys enough. This program is about the players. It will always be about the players. We feel good about the future.”
Along with Jones, the following Nittany Lions received awards on Sunday night to mark their individual achievements and importance to the team.
- John Bruno, Jr. Memorial Award (outstanding member of special teams) – fullback Pat Zerbe
- Ridge Riley Award (senior for "sportsmanship, scholarship, leadership and friendship") – tackle Garry Gilliam and safety/linebacker Stephen Obeng-Agyapong
- Richard Maginnis Memorial Award (outstanding offensive lineman) – center Ty Howle and guard John Urschel
- Robert B. Mitinger, Jr. Award (senior who exhibits courage, character and social responsibility) – linebacker Glenn Carson, tackle Eric Shrive, and safety Malcolm Willis
- Outstanding Run-on Award (Run-on player who exemplifies total commitment, loyalty, hard work and courage) – tight end Matt Lehman
- Reid-Robinson Award (outstanding defensive lineman). Named in honor of two of Penn State’s most acclaimed defensive linemen, Dave Robinson and Mike Reid – defensive tackle DaQuan Jones.
- Football Letterman’s Club Joe and Sue Paterno Post-Graduate Scholarship ($5,000 Scholarship to a senior to provide recognition and financial assistance for graduate school) - defensive tackle Kyle Baublitz
- The Nittany Lion Club Academic Achievement Award (senior with highest GPA) was presented to John Urschel, who has a 4.0 grade-point average
- Quarterback Club Special Awards – tackle Adam Gress