State College, PA - Centre County - Central Pennsylvania - Home of Penn State University

Penn State History Lessons: 150 Years of The Creamery

by and on May 26, 2015 10:55 AM

Sunday was a big day for Penn State’s very own Berkey Creamery. The place kicked off a celebration marking its 150th anniversary!

Those 150 years are filled with some very interesting tales.

During its existence, the Creamery has moved multiple times, nearly sunk into the ground, taught thousands of students about the ice cream making process, and hosted celebrities of all sorts.

We decided to take a look back on some of the Creamery’s most memorable moments. So grab a bowl of Bittersweet Mint, and get ready for the sweetest edition yet of Penn State History Lessons.

Like most things at Penn State in the 19th century, the Creamery started out close to Old Main. The Creamery was a part of the school’s “College Barns,” which was located just behind the famous landmark. That building was established in 1865, and housed a blacksmith shop and a hayloft in addition to the Creamery.

first creamery

Photo: Penn State Creamery

Since the space was crowded, the Creamery moved to its own building in 1889. A state appropriation funded the new place: a one-story building complete with cold storage space, a cream-ripening room, and a workroom. The funding went to the Creamery largely because of a professor named Henry Armsby. Armsby truly believed in the educational goal of the Creamery, and wanted to upgrade the College’s dairying expertise and instruction. Thus, Penn State’s first Creamery was born.

creamery 1889

Photo: Penn State Creamery

The Creamery, which was called the State College Creamery at the time, produced small amounts of butter and milk long before it started making ice cream. However, that milk and butter went to an A-List crowd at Penn State. According to one of the Creamery’s old account books from 1899, the Creamery sold milk to the likes of Fred Lewis Pattee, Thornton Osmond, and President Atherton. Those Penn State celebrities only had to pay five cents for a quart of milk, which was delivered by a horse and buggy.

horse and buggy

Photo: Penn State Creamery

The Creamery was growing, and fast. Though it had a space of its very own, the small one-story building couldn’t keep up with demands on the Creamery’s production. The growing pains were made especially clear when the school began to offer dairy short courses in 1889 (which would evolve into today’s famous ice cream making classes).

So the Creamery would once again need a new place to call home. The Creamery moved into the Patterson building in 1904, which housed the dairy department according to a 1903 Free Lance article.

The Creamery stayed in the Patterson building for about three decades. During those years, the dairy department at Penn State really took off. In 1905, the Department of Dairy Husbandry was created with Professor H. E. VanNorman as department head. The program only grew from there; according to a 1923 Collegian article, 8 Penn Staters graduated with degrees in Dairy Husbandry in 1919. That number leaped to 34 by 1922.

The large number of dairy students meant that the Creamery’s production skyrocketed as well. According to that same Collegian article, the Creamery produced 200,000 pounds of butter, 70,000 pounds of cheese, and 10,000 gallons of ice cream in 1922.

Fast forward ten years, and the Creamery was ready to move once again. This time, the destination was the brand new Borland building. Construction on Borland started in 1931, and ended the following year. The Creamery took over an entire wing of the building in 1932.

However, the move to Borland was not entirely smooth. There’s an old Penn State legend indicating that the Creamery caved-in during the 1930s. The legend claims that orkmen were trapped under the Creamery’s rubble for years. And while the part about the trapped workers can definitely be ruled out, there is some truth to the notion of a cave-in.

As it turns out, the Creamery in Borland was built on top of sinkholes. In a 1998 Collegian article, the Creamery’s manager Tom Palchak explained what happened. The building didn’t actually cave in, though it did sink into the ground. That sinking forced the construction team to restructure the foundation and fill half of the basement with concrete.

borland

Photo: Penn State Creamery

Sinkage free, the Creamery stayed in Borland until 2006. During that time, a lot happened. Aside from the hundreds of thousands of gallons of milk, butter, and ice cream that the Creamery produced, it also welcomed some notable guests to Penn State.

In 1999, everyone’s favorite neighbor, Mr. Rogers, visited the Creamery. Well, sort of. His show, Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood, filmed a short segment about how ice cream is made. In a 1999 Collegian article, the show’s associate producer Michael Johnson said the Creamery was the ideal filming location because it was so well-known. The episode showed the Creamery making strawberry ice cream. You can even see a little Nittany Lions on the ice cream containers and employee uniforms.

rsz_screen_shot_2015-05-24_at_91509_pm

Photo: Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood

Perhaps the most famous visit to the Penn State Creamery happened three years earlier. President Clinton stopped at the Creamery in 1996. Now, you might have heard a famous story about how the President insisted on having two flavors on his cone. Mixing flavors, as you probably know, is strictly against Creamery rules. But President Clinton remains the only Creamery patron to get his wish: a cone with both Peachy Paterno and Cherry Quist.

As it turns out, the President actually didn’t demand the multi-flavored treat. According to the university President at the time, Graham Spanier, Clinton only asked for Peachy Paterno after Spanier suggested it. Then, POTUS apparently made a comment about Cherry Quist, and a scoop of that flavor was added.

Photo: Penn State Libraries

Photo: Penn State Libraries

That mistake was never made again, even when Clinton returned to the Creamery in 2000. He stuck with good old Peachy Paterno that time, and bought three gallons to take with him: Vanilla, Peachy Paterno, and Raspberry Fudge Torte. According to a 2000 Collegian article, Clinton joked that the ice cream served a diplomatic purpose. “You know, I think I’m going to give it to (Israeli) Prime Minister Barak and (Palestinian) Chairman Arafat to put them in a good frame of mind.”

That year, the Creamery received more than just a visit from a former President. In 2000, two Penn State alumni decided to give back to the university by donating three million dollars towards the construction of a new food science building. The alumni, Jeanne and Earl Berkey, both spent at Penn State. Jeanne graduated with a degree in dairy science in 1948, and Earl took the short course at the Creamery.

Though they didn’t meet at the Creamery, Penn State definitely played a part in their love story. Jeanne was interning at a dairy processing plant, which was actually owned by Earl’s family. They got married, and Earl eventually took over the plant. Fifty years later, they were ready to give back.

“Earl and I met in the dairy business,” Jeanne said in a 2000 Penn State news release. “it’s been very good to us, so making this gift seemed the natural thing to do.”

The new food science building took six years to build. During that time the Creamery stayed open in Borland. It was even featured on TLC’s short-lived dating show, A Dating Story. In that particular episode, two Penn Staters named Jill and Andy went on a, ahem, very Central PA blind date (read: they milked cows and rode a tractor). The date ended with cones at the Creamery. According to a 2003 Collegian article, the date didn’t lead to any sort of epic romance.

In August 2006, the Berkey Creamery as we know it today opened its doors. The new building featured an expanded seating area, and more cash registers to help with crowd control. According to a 2006 Collegian article, the new improvements were met with some disappointment from the students. The new location, though close to East Halls, meant a longer walk from the central part of campus. But overall, most people were pleased with the Creamery’s new digs. In that same Collegian article, Tom Palchak said sales were 12 percent higher at the new location than in 2005.

In its 150 years, the Creamery has been through a lot. But one thing hasn’t really changed through all that time: the ice cream. It sounds silly, that a sweet frozen dessert is such an important part of a university’s history. But perhaps former OPP manager Paul Ruskin said it best. In that 2006 Collegian article, Ruskin said “The history is embedded in the ice cream itself.”

So think about that the next time you visit the Creamery. Remember the 150 years of ice cream classes, presidential flavor combinations, delivery horse and buggies, and dairy cows grazing out in the school’s pastures. It’ll make the ice cream that much more delicious.

 

Popular Stories:

151-Year-Old Boalsburg Memorial Day Celebration Concludes with Service

Flames Destroy Backyard Deck, Menace Home, Alert Neighbors Save the Day

Catholic High School Benefits From $1 Million Donation

New Burrito Shop to Open With Free Food & Fundraisers

Bill To Be Introduced To Name Bridge After Joe Paterno

Teaching Kids How to Grow Their Own Food — With Fish

Two Decades of Students Give Retiring Choir Director Surprise of a Lifetime

Boalsburg Cemetery Still Recovering from Gravestone Vandalism, Repair Work Continues

Patty Kleban Column: Thanks for the Memories

Pine Hall Cemetery Service Memorializes Departed Servicemen

World War II Re-enactors Honor Sacrifices of Soldiers Past

Penn State Football: Millen Reportedly Set To Join Fox Networks

Penn State Football: Time to Win a Whiteout (Maybe Temple?)

Penn State Basketball: Condon Set To Fill Vacant Assistant Role

Penn State Football: For Franklin, Data Is The Key In Season Evaluations

Penn State Football: Caravan Comes To A Close, And Probably Just In Time



This post was originally published by the staff at Onward State. Follow Onward State on Twitter @OnwardState.


Anna Foley is a Penn State junior majoring in Communication Arts & Sciences and Spanish and a reporter for Onward State. The North Carolina native sometimes sings and acts on stage with the Penn State Thespians and No Refund Theatre.
Next Article
Catholic High School Benefits From $1 Million Donation
May 26, 2015 6:35 AM
by Steve Bauer
Catholic High School Benefits From $1 Million Donation
Comments
Disclaimer: Copyright © 2020 StateCollege.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

order food online