Report: Settlement Documents Sent to Jerry Sandusky Victims
The most devastating scandal in Penn State's history may finally be moving closer to an end. The university has apparently reached settlements with men who say they were victims of former coach Jerry Sandusky.
A published report says that Penn State is now in the final phase of the process.
PennLive.com quotes sources familiar with the process, as saying attorneys representing the university have been forwarding "final monetary settlement documents" to more than two dozen men. Those men claim they were sexually abused by Sandusky when they were children.
There have been earlier reports that the settlements could cost the university up to $60 million.
In July, the Penn State Board of Trustees authorized the university to make settlement offers to those victims.
At the time, university president Rodney Erickson called that decision, "another important step toward the resolution of claims from Sandusky’s victims. ... As we have previously said, the University intends to deal with these individuals in a fair and expeditious manner, with due regard to their privacy."
A statement released by the university on July 12 said officials hoped to have the matter concluded within "several weeks."
University spokesperson David La Torre would not confirm any settlement offers, telling StateCollege.com in an email, "We continue to make progress but cannot comment further."
The law firm of Feinberg Rozen LLP has been negotiating the settlements. Feinberg Rozen was involved in awarding settlements in the 2010 BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
Sandusky is serving 30 to 60 years in state prison for abusing young boys.