The Next Penn State President: Search and Screen Committee Members Named
Now aiding the search for the next Penn State president is an 18-member Search and Screen Committee, announced by the Penn State Board of Trustees during its regular January meeting Friday.
Penn State President Rodney Erickson plans to retire by June 30, 2014 and the search is underway to find his successor. A Presidential Selection Committee, comprised of members from the board, was assembled late in 2012 and oversees the entire process.
The Search and Screen committee is comprised of nine faculty members, one staff member, two academic deans, one vice president, two undergraduate students and one graduate student and one representative each from the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and the Alumni Association.
The complete list of members is as follows:
- Ann (Nan) Crouter, committee chairwoman, dean, College of Health and Human Development;
- Daniel Hagen, committee vice chairman, immediate past-chair, University Faculty Senate; professor of dairy and animal sciences, College of Agricultural Sciences
- Jalon Alexander, president, Penn State Mont Alto Student Government Association; undergraduate student in Letters, Arts, and Sciences
- Brian Aynardi, Graduate Student Association University Faculty Senate Representative; graduate student, plant pathology and environmental microbiology
- Larry Backer, chair (2012-13), University Faculty Senate; professor of international affairs and law, Dickinson School of Law
- Robert Edwards, Edwin Erle Sparks Professor of English and Comparative Literature, College of the Liberal Arts
- Shaun Gabbidon, Distinguished Professor of criminal justice, Penn State Harrisburg
- David Hall, dean, College of Information Sciences and Technology; chair, Academic Leadership Council
- David Han, associate professor of surgery and radiology, Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
- Madlyn Hanes, vice president for Commonwealth Campuses
- Thomas Mallouk, Evan Pugh Professor of materials chemistry and physics, Eberly College of Science
- Katelyn Mullen, vice president, University Park Undergraduate Association; undergraduate student in marketing and public relations
- Brian Orland, Distinguished Professor of landscape architecture, College of Arts and Architecture
- Margaret Slattery, assistant professor of bioengineering; undergraduate program coordinator in bioengineering, College of Engineering
- Kathleen Smarilli, president, Penn State Alumni Association; partner, Murphy McCormack Capital Advisors
- Coquese Washington, head coach, Lady Lions Basketball
- Timothy Whitehill, applications system analyst manager, University Budget Office
- Brenton Yarnal, chair-elect (2013-14), University Faculty Senate; professor of geography, College of Earth and Mineral Sciences
"The search for a new president is one of the most significant instances of shared governance in the life of a university and we are committed to an inclusive process that involves an encompassing collection of individuals," former board chairwoman Karen Peetz said.
"While the Board of Trustees has the ultimate responsibility for selection of a president, the process is one of consultation and input from those who have a vested interest in Penn State’s next leader.
"This newly named Presidential Search and Screening Committee will bring a diverse and distinct array of opinions to the table to help determine which candidates have the best academic leadership and administrative skills to be Penn State’s 18th president."