PennDOT continues construction on Route 3018 (Whitehall Road/University Drive) from Route 26 to Atherton Street in an effort to improve safety and ease traffic congestion.
PennDOT reminds motorists its job is a separate and different project than Ferguson Township's Whitehall Road project.
Activity the week of Sept. 17 includes:
- Paving from the Campbell Road intersection to the Atherton Street intersection.
- Waterline relocation work from the Blue Course Drive intersection to the Waupelani Drive intersection.
- Pipe and inlet placement from the Research Drive intersection to the Waupelani Drive intersection.
- Grading, sub-base placement and under-drain placement from the Blue Course Drive intersection to the Waupelani Drive intersection.
- Excavation and embankment placement from the Blue Course Drive intersection to the Waupelani Drive intersection.
- Traffic signal work at the Atherton Street intersection, Centre Lifelink and Friends School.
PennDOT asks that drivers remain alert for construction vehicles entering and exiting construction areas. Motorists should be aware that traffic may be controlled by flaggers at various locations through the project area between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
All work is weather and schedule dependent. HRI Inc. of State College is the contractor on this $10.3 million project.
Meanwhile, PennDOT’s work to replace the Slab Cabin Run bridge on Route 3011 (East Branch Road) near Lemont also is continuing, with significant work scheduled for next week. Replacing the current, structurally deficient bridge will provide area motorists with smoother, safer and more efficient travel across a modern structure. Pending removal of overhead lines, crews will set beams for the new bridge on Wednesday.
East Branch Road remains closed during this project and the detour remains in effect through November. Message boards are in place to alert drivers to the detour. Since daily traffic in this area is heavy, drivers should expect slow moving traffic on the detour and travel delays.
The detour uses Route 3011 south (East Branch Road), Business 322 east (Atherton Street), Route 3010 north (Warner Boulevard), U.S. Route 322 west at the Oak Hall interchange, Route 26 north at the State College interchange, and Route 3011, south (Pike Street) at Houserville.
Should work progress and weather conditions allow, PennDOT will open the new bridge earlier than the end of November.
Glenn O. Hawbaker, Inc. of State College is the contractor on this $1.5 million project.