Alpha volunteer firefighters stopped a kitchen fire from spreading at a Ferguson Township home on Wednesday.
They also saved a cat's life.
Alpha Fire Company was dispatched at 9 a.m. to a home on Butternut Street, where crews found a fire in the kitchen and were told two cats were believed to still be in the residence. Firefighters first knocked the fire back with a pressurized water can then used a hand line stretched from an engine to extinguish it, limiting damage to the kitchen, according to an Alpha Facebook post.
A crew continued the search for the cats. While one ran outside on its own, the other had to be carried out. Using animal oxygen masks that have been provided by Bellefonte Moose Lodge #206, firefighters were able to resuscitate the cat.
"We’re told that it seems to be doing well," the post said.
The fire was determined to be accidental and no one was seriously injured, according to Alpha.