BELLEFONTE — Residents in part of Bellefonte were briefly evacuated on Friday afternoon following a major gas leak.
The gas leak occurred at West Manchester Lane and South Spring Street and a phone and text message from Centre County Emergency Management was sent just after noon urging people within a 1-mile radius to evacuate.
At 1:05 p.m., a follow-up notice was sent stating that Columbia Gas had given the OK for residents to return to their homes and the evacuation order was canceled.
During the evacuation, Bellefonte police said the downtown and the South Spring Street, Pine Street and Stoney Batter area should be avoided.
"The gas leak in Bellefonte Borough has been resolved and the downtown area will be re-opening shortly," Bellefonte police wrote on Facebook at 1:15 p.m. "The tremendous response of Borough and County and State agencies is very much appreciated. We are sending our most heartfelt thanks to our residents and visitors and business owners for their amazing assistance and cooperation during this event."
Bellefonte and Spring Township police blocked off South Spring Street, South Allegheny Street at the intersection with Bishop Street, and Bishop Street between Allegheny and Spring streets while the leak was repaired.
Police block off West Bishop Street and South Allegheny Street following a major gas leak on Oct. 16, 2020, near Spring Street and Manchester Lane. Photo by Geoff Rushton | StateCollege.com