The village was originally known as Motz’s or Motz’s Mill. It was renamed for George Woodward, a candidate for governor of Pennsylvania in 1845. Woodward is situated at the base of the Woodward Narrows where Bald Eagle State Forest begins. The Woodward Inn served as an overnight stopping place along the early road laid out by Reuben Haines.
Woodward has a total area of .9 miles and a population of under 200 inhabitants. This tiny town offers a place that feels like a vacation getaway. There are both historic as well as newer homes. Woodward Cave is nearby as is Woodward Camp, an extreme-sports camp which attracts visitors worldwide.