Home » Centre County Gazette » Council advances Capital Improvement Plan

Council advances Capital Improvement Plan

Lloyd Rogers


BELLEFONTE — Bellefonte Borough Council on Monday advanced long-term planning for borough infrastructure, rescheduled interviews to fill a vacant South Ward council seat and recognized two residents whose years-long advocacy helped bring a new traffic signal to the Parkview Boulevard and Zion Road intersection.

Much of the evening focused on the borough’s proposed 2027-31 Capital Improvement Program, which outlines future investments in streets, vehicles, parks, buildings and other public infrastructure. Council reviewed the draft during a work session before considering its adoption later in the regular meeting.

Street Superintendent Matt Auman said the plan prioritizes replacing aging equipment before major breakdowns occur, including plow trucks, a street sweeper and other public works vehicles.

“We try to get rid of them in 10 years so we’re not into major repairs,” Auman said, noting the borough often recovers a significant portion of the cost by selling the vehicles through municipal auctions.

Council members also discussed planned street paving projects identified through the borough’s Vialytics road assessment software, stormwater improvements, building maintenance and future park projects.

Several members questioned future spending associated with planned restroom construction near the new Talleyrand Park stage. Borough Manager David Pribulka said the project remains a placeholder in the capital plan and could ultimately be funded through grants, fundraising or other outside sources rather than local tax dollars.

Council also directed staff to add replacement of the suspension bridge deck to the capital improvement plan after members noted it had been omitted from the draft.

During the regular meeting, council unanimously voted to postpone interviews and the appointment for the vacant South Ward council seat. A special meeting will be held at 7:30 p.m. Monday, Aug. 17, with applications remaining open through Aug. 13.

Earlier in the meeting, Doug and Bobbi Barnett thanked council for installing the new traffic signal at Parkview Boulevard and Zion Road, which became fully operational Monday.

The couple said they began advocating for the project in 2022, gathering more than 200 petition signatures after raising concerns about safety at the busy intersection.

“I truly believe that our neighborhood will be safer due to this light,” Bobbi Barnett told council.

Council President Doug Johnson presented the couple with a letter recognizing their persistence and commitment to improving public safety.

“Your continued pursuit of this signalized intersection is evident,” Johnson said. “That big change can and often does come from grassroots efforts led by dedicated citizens like yourselves who are committed to overcoming any obstacle to make the community a safer and better place.”

Council also announced applications are now being accepted through Sept. 3 to fill the vacant West Ward council seat.

In other business, council approved several Historic Architectural Review Board recommendations, including window replacements, porch renovations, masonry restoration, roof work and repairs to a fire-damaged home within the borough’s historic district.

Council tabled approval of its June budget-versus-actual financial summary until September so updated 2025 comparison figures can be included following completion of the borough’s annual audit.

[empowerlocal_ad action]