Home » Town and Gown » A Legacy of Learning

A Legacy of Learning

North Ward School, or the Old Stone School, at the corner of North Allegheny and West Linn streets/ South Ward School, or Bishop Street School, at the corner of East Bishop and North Blanchard streets

North Ward School, or the Old Stone School, at the corner of North Allegheny and West Linn streets & South Ward School, or Bishop Street School, at the corner of East Bishop and North Blanchard streets

Matt Maris


As a new Bellefonte Elementary opens, a look back at the schools that educated generations of local students

The new Bellefonte Elementary School will celebrate its grand opening in August, with students beginning classes Sept. 1. Opening in 2026, the school will welcome students during America’s 250th anniversary year. In honor of this special occasion, a time capsule of historical artifacts has also been sealed inside the school — to be opened in 2050. The school replaces the former Bellefonte and Benner elementary schools, bringing their students and staff together under one roof.

As the community marks this transition, it’s also an opportunity to look back at the schools that have served Bellefonte Borough and Benner Township over the years. This article traces that history, focusing on the buildings connected to the former Bellefonte and Benner elementary schools. (A separate article is warranted for additional BASD schools like Marion-Walker, Pleasant Gap, etc.)

Let’s go back to the beginning.

While the first school in Bellefonte was the Bellefonte Academy, it was a private preparatory school dating back to 1805. It was not until after the 1834 Free Schools Act established a public school system throughout the commonwealth that public school buildings began to appear in the borough of Bellefonte, as they did elsewhere in Pennsylvania. Bellefonte organized a school board in the fall of 1834. By 1835, it had established taxes and committees to open the schools.

In 1841, the first public school building in Bellefonte was built behind the courthouse (see 1861 map). It was constructed by J. J. & G. Alexander for the cost of $1,270. At the time, there were 275 school-age children in the borough of Bellefonte. Liberal education was provided, as well as daily Scripture reading. Male and female students were “separated.” The original school was eventually demolished before a prison was built on the site.

In 1856, the public high school moved into the Academy, where it remained until 1868. When the partnership ended that year, the North Ward Public School was built.

This old stone school was located at the present-day site of the former Bellefonte Elementary School, on the corner of North Allegheny Street between Lamb and Linn streets. It opened in the fall of 1869 under the superintendency of Professor Daniel H. Hastings, who would later become governor. It was a nine-room brownstone school with a large schoolyard, or “commons,” extending to North Spring Street. When Bellefonte schools desegregated in 1885, this old stone school would have been the first to see integrated classrooms.

As Bellefonte’s population grew, the school board erected the “Brick School Building,” also known as the “Bishop Street school,” at the corner of East Bishop and Blanchard streets. Opening day for this South Ward School was Sept. 19, 1887. It was originally a high school

but would eventually serve elementary grades as well. The school’s bell is now displayed in the Bellefonte Area High School courtyard. Today, the South Ward School is the oldest surviving public school building in the borough of Bellefonte.

As many locals know, the former Bellefonte Elementary School on Allegheny Street served several roles over the years, most notably as the town’s high school. The elegant “Old Stone School” (North Ward) was demolished to make way for a new high school, completed in 1910. The Democratic Watchman hailed its dedication in September 1910 as “an epoch in the educational history of Bellefonte never reached before.” Sadly, the beautiful building burned to the ground on Feb. 13, 1939. Until a new school could be built, students attended classes in suitable places like the Bellefonte Academy, just like the old days.

The Armory building at West Lamb and North Spring streets (built in 1894) was also purchased by the school district around 1934. Locals may have attended the Spring Street School (elementary) in the old Armory. Students at Bellefonte High School across the street would use it for gym classes as well.

After the fire, ground was broken for another high school in 1941, and it opened by October 1942. Although Bellefonte Elementary is no longer a high school, you can still see the words “Bellefonte High School” on the front facade and the 1941 cornerstone. (Fun fact: There are historical artifacts sealed within the 1941 cornerstone.) The building was constructed during World War II, so special approval for steel and rationed materials had to be acquired from the federal government, and steel lockers were not provided until 1946. When the current Bellefonte Area High School opened in 1956, Bellefonte Elementary began to be used for junior high and eventually elementary grades.

Just as the sign indicates in the photo of Benner Elementary, it was constructed in 1961 and closed after the conclusion of the 2025-26 school year, after 65 years. With advancements in school busing, a trend of consolidating schools was happening all over the nation in the mid-1900s. There were about 81 one-room schoolhouses in Centre County. The Bellefonte Area School Jointure closed all one-room schools by June 1962 and erected larger township-based school buildings instead. When the Bellefonte area schools were joined, there were only five one-room schools in operation in Benner Township: Valley View, Armagast, Knox, Peru, and Roopsburg; but historically, there were eight one-room schools in Benner Township. This was truly a new era of education, dramatically changing rural life in places like Benner Township. Benner Elementary opened two months behind schedule on Tuesday, Nov. 27, 1962. Marion-Walker Elementary opened earlier in November 1962 as well.

There have been many schools and buildings used for educational purposes over the years. Meaningful change is never easy, but it is a consistent part of progress. Schools are not just buildings; they are the expression of the community’s values and core identity. They are the settings that shape the education, lives, and future of our youth. As we strive for progress and innovation, let us not forget about the schools of the past, which served generations. While some of the buildings are abandoned or have undetermined futures, they are all vital parts of our educational history and story. T&G

Visit townandgown.com for a full list of sources. Local Historia is a passion for local history, community, and preservation. Its mission is to connect you with local history through engaging content and walking tours. Local Historia is owned by public historians Matt Maris and Dustin Elder, who co-author this column. For more, visit localhistoria.com.

Sources:

Benner Township: 150 Years of Families, Forging, Farming, Fishing, and Flying (Benner Township, 2003). 

“Formal Dedication of Bellefonte’s New High School.” Democratic Watchman (Bellefonte, Pa.). Sept. 23, 1910

https://panewsarchive.psu.edu/lccn/sn83031981/1910-09-23/ed-1/seq-8

Industries and institutions of Centre County : with historical sketches of principal villages, &c., &c. by Maynard, D. S. 1877. 

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=loc.ark:/13960/t24b3c15k&seq=155&q1=superintendent

“The Growth of our Superb Educational System.” Democratic Watchman (Bellefonte, Pa.). June 7, 1895. https://panewsarchive.psu.edu/lccn/sn83031981/1895-06-07/ed-1/seq-4/ 

[empowerlocal_ad action]